Hampton Fire & Rescue Volunteers

2022 Incidents
Fire EMS
January 649 2129
February 524 1686
March 613 1838
April 642 1702
May 667 1958
June 588 1690
July
August
September
October
November
December
Total 3683 11003

Yearly Incidents
Fire EMS
2021 7168 22558
2020 6862 19796
2019 6980 20578
2018 6972 20070
2017 6445 19547
2016 6584 19740
2015 6290 19182
2014 7645 18211

Web Counters
Website Visitors
Since
December 4, 2013
579,472
Visitors Today
Dec 03, 2022
48

History

A History of Phoebus Volunteer Fire Company

The Phoebus Hook and Ladder Company No. 1 was organized One Hundred Nineteen year ago on January 25, 1893 in Kaiser’s Hall. The old Fire Station, built in 1893, was a modern frame structure, named Fireman’s Hall, and stood for about 45 years. The building was built on land donated to the Phoebus Fire Department by the Lancer family of Phoebus.

This original building was built by the first Fire Chief, Phillip A. Fuller, for a handsome amount of $694.00 The original building withstood many modifications, including the addition of a bell tower, horse stables and hay lofts for the horses used to pull the Steamer Engines that were once used.

In 1952, when Hampton, Virginia annexed the surrounding communities of Phoebus, Wythe, Fox Hill, Buckroe Beach and Northampton, the name was changed to the Phoebus Volunteer Fire Company, and the Station was designated as Hampton Fire Department Station 2. (As it is the second oldest Volunteer Fire Department/Company in the city)

Phoebus Station is supported by three platoons of career fire and rescue personnel. Phoebus’ district included Hampton University, the Kecoughtan Veteran’s Administration Medical Center, Historic Monroe, Interstate 64 and the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel.

A History of the Wythe Volunteer Fire Company

The Wythe District Fire Department had its beginnings at a meeting, Thanksgiving night in 1909, in W. R. Wright’s store at Franklin and Electric Avenues. Seven citizens including John M. Lynch, William E. LeCompt, A. J. Jackson, William Messick, W. R. Wright and W. G. Fraley attended the meeting called to order by J. Walter Smith, Sr. a magistrate of the Wythe District, and a resident of the Riverview community. At this meeting, the citizens of Riverview voiced the need for a fire department in their neighborhood.

On February 12, 1910 the Riverview Volunteer Fire Department was organized, meeting again in Wright’s store with 40 members present.

In 1913 Riverview built a hose wagon that could be drawn by either horses or men. This wagon carried 750 feet of hose. Riverview also purchased two 50 gallon chemical tanks from American LaFrance and mounted them on a Ford chassis in 1915. This was one of the first motorized fire apparatuses in Virginia.

In the winter of 1909, the Wythe Fire Company was organized. The Wythe Fire Protection Association gave permission for a fire station to be built west of the present association building fronting on Kecoughtan Road. Funds were secured and a one story fire station was erected.

In 1923 the two companies were finally merged under the name Wythe District Fire Department. The engine house of the Wythe Company became the new headquarters and the white pumper from the Riverview Department became the principal apparatus for the new department. The old Hooper – Hardy garage adjacent to the George Wythe School was purchased and the department moved in March 1932. In October 1944 ground was broken for a new station and was occupied in May 1945.

Equipment from both companies was donated to the newly merged unit.

Wythe district covers War Memorial Stadium, the Historic Area of Wythe, blue Water Marina and borders Downtown Newport News.

History of Buckroe Beach Volunteer Fire Company

The Buckroe Beach Fire Company is one of six volunteer fire companies operating in the City of Hampton. This district serves approximately 20,000 people and includes a half – mile long public beach and a fishing pier.

The Buckroe Beach Fire Company was initially organized in 1949 and was known as the Buckroe Fire Department No. 1. This department went through three reorganizations during the period 1940-1950. The only equipment at that time was a 1924 American LaFrance, which was housed at the home of a company member.

The Buckroe Fire Company was reorganized to its present status on May 1, 1951, with a 1950 Chevrolet Oren 500 - gallon pumper. The pumper was housed at the Buckroe Amusement Park in a building donated by the park’s owner. On May 2, 1957, the fire company moved into it’s present location at 2412 E. Pembroke Avenue. An addition to the building at this location was completed in 1987.

Buckroe volunteers have reclaimed the original 1950 Chevrolet pumper from the city’s retired fleet. It is now housed in a building built by the volunteers next to the Buckroe station. In an effort to preserve an important part of Buckroe Beach history, the pumper was restored to its original condition and is used in parades and during Fire Prevention Week. This engine has also become the pumper of choice as a Fire Department hearse by families of deceased firefighters associated with the Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue and all of the Volunteer Fire Companies serving with the City of Hampton.

Presently, the Company has 66 life and active members and is backed by the Ladies Auxillary. In addition, the Buckroe station is home to career personnel consisting of an officer and four firefighters for each of it’s three shifts.

The Buckroe district covers Buckroe Beach, Salt Ponds and runs second due to Fort Monroe.

A History of Fox Hill Volunteer Fire Company

The Fox Hill Fire Department was organized in 1922 with 14 members. The first fire apparatus was a Model “T” Ford Fire Engine purchased from the Wythe Volunteer Fire Company. This modern fire engine of the era also carried two 35 gallon chemical tanks able to discharge soda and acid foam.

The first building to house the fire apparatus was built on land by the Bank of Fox Hill with funds raised from the sale of cook books and cake sales. Years later the consolidation of Elizabeth City County and the City of Hampton, Fox Hill Volunteer Fire Company became a part of the Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue. Currently Fox Hill is the home of Fire Boat Five as well as Engine 5 and Engine 501.

A History of Northampton Volunteer Fire Company

Organized in 1954, the Northampton Fire Company moved into its new home in April 1955, after existing for almost a year without a station. A 1954 General 750 gallon pumper was put in the station at this time. In 1959 a 1940 Diamond “T”, 500 gallon pumper was added to the station. A station addition was built in 1962.

Staffing the station when it first opened was two engineers hired to meet the volunteer firefighters at the fire scene with the equipment. The were F.T. “Tommy” Clark, Jr., who now owns Clark’s Feed and Seed down the street from the station, and E.J. “Minnow” Walton, Jr., who retired as a Captain from Hampton Division of Fire and Rescue. The volunteer company was under the direction of J.R. Edwards, Chief; J.E. cann, Asst. Chief; Earl Nelms, 2nd Asst., M.L. West, Captain; and J.W. Garris, Lieutenant.

Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
www.FirehouseSolutions.com
Hampton Fire & Rescue Department
22 Lincoln Street
Hampton, VA 23669
Emergency Dial 911
Non-Emergency: 757-727-1223
Station Fax: 757-727-1380
E-mail: info@hamptonfire.org
Copyright © 2022 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)